Event Detail More Events
AIGA Chicago Mentor Program
- September 13
- 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- General Assembly
Calling all makers, creators, thinkers, writers, designers, leaders: join us. Learn new skills while teaching old ones. Connect with like-minded professionals—and help connect like-minded professionals. Reach your true potential by helping others reach theirs.
About the AIGA Chicago Mentor Program
The AIGA Chicago Mentor Program is a celebrated gathering of creative people from across disciplines and industries to share insights, experiences and resources while making new connections, exchanging inspiration and even collaborating on a project or two.
It’s an amazing way to get more involved in Chicago’s rich creative community and to gain greater access to the wealth of professional opportunities it has to offer.
How it works
The Fall session will kick-off in September and last until mid November, with a total of 10 meetings every Wednesday evening. You’ll meet with your mentor group every other week, with studio tours, designer talks, portfolio reviews and workshops during the off weeks. We will also organize a wrap-up party to celebrate our work!
Participants work in groups comprising a spectrum of creative fields and career levels, organized by shared interest. Upon registration you will let us know what topic you are currently interested in, and confirm (or change) at kickoff once you learn more:
- Working on Professional Development: Improve your presentation skills, negotiating salary and discuss the latest creative trends.
- Improving Your Portfolio and Resume: Develop solid case studies and have a resume / cover letter that makes you stand out and get that job!
- CMY-Kickstart Your Design Career: Finishing school? Looking for a career change? Learn the ins and outs of getting your design career off the ground at light speed.
- Advancing as a UX Professional: For those new or seasoned in User Experience Design to garner more expertise in a growing market.
- Being a Better Freelancer: Build the entrepreneur in you by being your own boss full time, or as a side hustle.
- Collaborating on a Group Project: Work together to write a creative brief, design, and produce a project that you envision together.
- Learning Leadership Skills: Helps mid to senior level creatives take the next step in their career, and better manage their current teams.
How to apply
Interested in joining as a mentee? AIGA Chicago’s Mentor Program is free and open to AIGA members and non-members.
AIGA members receive advance registration that will begin at 10am on Thursday, August 24. Participation by non-members is limited to one session. Nonmember registration will begin at 10am on Monday, August 28.
Interested in being a mentor? Contact AIGA for more details to participate next spring, as all of our mentor spots have been filled.
Please note that mentor sessions can fill up (sell out) during the first wave of member registration.
6:00 to 8:00 PM – Mentor Program Kick-off