Event Detail More Events
Nick Misani Lettering Workshop
A workshop designed to add some Jazz-Age glamour to your lettering
- May 5
- 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Learn the secrets of historical typography with this hands-on workshop on Art Deco lettering. Popular in the roaring 20s and 30s, this style embodies the glamour, luxury, and exuberance of the Great Gatsby Era.
In this four-hour class, Nick will quickly cover the foundations of lettering and briskly segue into dramatic uppercase letterforms, unexpected ligatures, geometric scripts, and ornamentation. You'll learn three Art Deco hand lettering styles to prepare you for your final project: a postcard for a 1920/30s jazz club.
YOU'LL LEAVE THE WORKSHOP WITH:
- A limited-edition 30-page workbook Nick designed and wrote for the workshop, printed in two-color Risograph, plus a 52-page matching sketchbook.
- A lettering piece that is both contemporary and historically-inspired and ready for its Instagram closeup.
- Several rounds of one-on-one feedback during the workshop.
- Access to Nick's curated list of resources to continue learning about Art Deco typography and design.
- Continued feedback and reference material via a private Facebook group for the class.
- A frame-worthy, Riso-printed certificate of completion.
Nick Misani is a freelance designer and letterer based in New York City. Formerly the senior designer at Louise Fili Ltd, Nick specializes in historically-inspired illustrative lettering. He was named a Young Gun by the Art Directors Club and his work has been featured on a variety of online and print publications including Wired, Fast Company, Adobe, Communication Arts, HOW, Print magazine, and Designboom.